Sunday, April 20, 2014

Day 7: Having a plan versus needing a plan

I've got one week in the books and there are certainly some takeaways already.

Number 1: comfortable riding weather does not equal comfortable sleeping weather. Worse - cool riding weather still makes you sweat, so after you've lost the activity-generated body heat, you're left with cold sweat to deal with.

Number 2: Never rely on wifi. This might seem like a no-brainer considering all the dead zones even within a place like Toronto, but in a city you're never really that far from access if you need it. This week I realized that you CAN be that far away when you REALLY need it. Should I be carryimg a physical map with me? Probably.  Will I? Probably not. Paper takes up a surprising amount of space.

Number 3 - and most important: Have a plan, even if you don't need it. My days this week have always been easier when I had a specific destination and route versus the days when I figured I'd just ride until I got tired. So far, every day has ended differently than expected in some way, but it was always less of an issue when I had a fixed target to begin with.

So I've spent my day off planning my next week as best I can. I've set daily destinations - including alternatives,  and contingency plans. Most important for next week - if I get lost, hwy 138 will eventually get me to Quebec City, and if the St. Lawrence is to my right, I'm heading in the right direction.

 If the cars weren't in these pictures I could have thought I was in another century.


 420 festival brewing.

This was my afternoon.


1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the pictures and the updates . . . stay safe and I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete