Monday, April 21, 2014

Day 8: Back On The Road

I don't know what I was worried about, route 138 is great! I can't say enough good things about Quebec's cycling infrastructure. I rode through a range of solutions including wide paved shoulders, lanes with physical barriers from the road, and lanes separated from the road by sidewalks. At no point today was I fighting for space on the road with motor vehicles - even in the towns. By far the smoothest day of riding so far. I wish Toronto was like this.

The second thing that surprised me today was my my momentum. I flew through 100kms barely breaking a sweat, and I had my fastest ride to date, averaging about 30km/hr. I was tempted to go back out for another 50km, but didn't want to tempt fate. I'm on schedule, and it was a good day. No need to push it. Tomorrow I've got a plan to pack on the kms. We'll see how it goes.

Back to route 138 - I'm really looking forward to tomorrow's ride. So far it's been picturesque, with no shortage of amenities and friendly people along the way. 705kms under my belt, only 7000 (or so) to go!

Kids - don't take a selfie while riding. It's very dangerous.

Saying goodbye to the Alexandria Hotel, and Montreal.


Quebec's bike lanes rock.



Some kid is about to have an awesome party.

I was going to take a pic of every church I passed, but soon realized that would have taken all week for what should be a day's ride.




                 
Me and Gracie stopping for lunch.


My stop for the night. Motel Normandie in Louiseville.

No comments:

Post a Comment