Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day Three: So, camping sounded like a good idea...

Day two leisure time ended with me hanging out with the good people at the Smokehouse in Brighton. I highly recommend checking it out if you're in the area. Stephanie, Brandy and (ever professional) Jake pictured below.

Although I left the pub much later (and much less sober) than intended, I was committed to getting in another 30km before calling it a day. This took me past Trenton...

But I still hadn't reached Belleville and at this point it was getting dark. I still hadn't figured out what I was going to do for the night.


I eventually found a semi-secluded spot that seemed suitable. However, I grossly overestimated my camping gear's ability to keep me warm in -5 temperatures, and I now know how completely frightening it is to hear - and feel - a freight train race by while you're trying to sleep 15 feet away.

Big win! I figured out I'm able to get Gracie in the tent with me. No need to lie awake worrying about someone messing with my girl.

Tearing down camp at 6am. My waterbottles in the tent with me froze solid overnight. I wasn't sleeping in a fridge - it was a freezer!


Some pics from my Day Three ride. My Aunt Betty and Uncle John have graciously offered to put me up for the night in Kingston.




2 comments:

  1. Found your blog from your convo with Ted on FB, and am following along... is it wrong that I'm glad I wasn't sleeping in a tent on the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man... that's what it was like treetplanting every night for the first month.

    ReplyDelete