Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Day 43: black bears, Rogers Pass and Golden

I didn't budget my fluids very well today. I had enough water and sports drink for 100km, and naively assumed I'd have a chance to top up my water on route if necessary. Well it was necessary, but there aren't any service stations between Revelstoke and Golden. The last 50km of my 150km ride was pretty rough. I'd stopped sweating by the time I got to Golden which is not a good sign for me. I've rehydrated and feel much better now, but I won't make that mistake again.

Highlights from this ride were the beautiful scenery (of course) - and the bears!

I came across a black bear and her cub at the side of the road. There was no way for me to get by her without her seeing me, and I didn't want to ride by while she was with her cub and risk freaking her out. To make things worse,  the little guy noticed me and kept looking over at me. I thought for sure that would get the mother's attention and she'd charge for sure. Just as I was getting ready to try and flag down a car to act as a buffer between me and the bear so I could ride by,  the mother got up on her hind legs and looked right at me. I was getting ready to ride my ass off but she just turned and walked back into the woods. Needless to say, I made record time getting the hell out of there and up Rogers Pass.

 Leaving Revelstoke.





 Conquered Rogers Pass.




No comments:

Post a Comment